Carter picked up a scorpion at daycare yesterday and was about to put it in his mouth when the daycare lady saw him and shook it out of his hand. She thought he had a leaf in his hand but oh no; he had half-squashed a scorpion to death. Its body was inside his little fist with the tail poking out. She said that the scorpion was still alive (legs wiggling) but not able to crawl due to Carter’s killer grasp. Amazingly, he wasn’t stung. Don’t know how or why… it’s a mystery. He only cried when she quickly scooped him up and put him in his crib. The tears were not from pain but anger; he was mad that his precious, poisonous, insect friend had been taken from him!
Anyway – they called me – I called poison control (just in case) – they told me what to look for if he were stung. He had no symptoms and no idea how lucky he was.
Oh, the joys of living in the desert.
This is not the suspect in question (he was given a burial at sea), just a relative…